Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Days 2-4 (Tuesday - Thursday)

Day 2 (Tuesday)
**My new favorite thing: Gardening.
Leaving a job where I didn't have to move any muscles except my fingers, I am really enjoying work that engages my whole body. Today I weeded, watered, and helped dig a foundation for a hut. "Dig" may not seem overly tiring, but the ground is so hard we need to break it up with an extremely heavy metal bar before we can shovel it away. I wielded the iron bar, (I think there's a name for the tool, but I don't know it. It's taller than I am and the end is like a flathead screwdriver,) lifting it above my head, bringing it down as hard as I can and then pulling down to lever the dirt apart. It's so exhausting, but so satisfying. I love being outside all day and surrounding myself with nature. I lovingly watered the okra that I planted yesterday and talked to it so that it would feel encouraged to grow. I was disappointed that my time was cut short by being sent to teach English at a nearby school.**

After cleaning Rani and her bed, Annebob and I do the "vet check" which involves brushing off the bottoms of her feet, checking for any abrasions, and feeding her a vitamin ball. Today is my turn. I am a little nervous as I am approaching a raised elephant foot, yup, definitely big enough to squash me like an ant. But I really enjoyed it. I give the vitamin ball and Annebob gives her some reward fruit. She was telling me yesterday about elephant body language. Ears out, cheeks red, and eyes wide is aggression, or as we call it "RUN!" Curling the trunk under and resting it in your hand is trust. As Annebob feeds the fruit she leaves her hand out. Rani reaches back to sniff for more papaya. Not finding any, she begins to pull her trunk back, but first curls it under and rests it in Annebob's hand. Nobody here has had their elephant do that, and this is the first time for Annebob. I am watching--as are about 6 others--as Annebob's face lights up and she is nearly overcome with emotion. As Rani ambles away, Annebob is turning toward us, completely speechless. Everyone here just witnessed such a touching moment, it's very difficult to describe. I can only hope that this will happen for me before I leave.

I do a little gardening today, but my time is cut short because Shala and I are on the schedule to go teach English at a nearby school. It's actually less teaching and more playing with the kids while incorporating English. It is an after school daycare of sorts, with children of all ages from 5-11. There are 8 kids of varying English proficiency. I start out by asking them their names and ages and then having them all tell me what color shirt they are wearing. Then we move on to me saying a color and they have to point to something that color. For an hour Shay and I come up with various activities and have so much fun with the kids. I enjoy playing with them and seeing how each of them start to come out of their shell over time. My favorite game was probably a Simon says-esque game where someone would say a word or command and everyone would act it out. This way they get to associate the words with actions, not letters on a page. We also had fun throwing a ball around a circle, and when you got the ball you said something about yourself.
"My favorite subject is English."
"My name is Deshena."
"I have one sister."
"My favorite color is orange."
The time was quite enjoyable, but an hour of it was mentally and physically wearing. So much running around with them and attempting to entertain/teach them all in a way that incorporated a wide range of ages and English fluency. Shay and I are pleased with the hour and look forward to seeing them again, but happy to get back to the bungalow, which I now call home.

Day 3 (Wednesday)
**My new favorite thing: emotional release.
As I was painting the office today I started to feel very strange, and I didn't know what was wrong with me. I ate a couple of biscuits (yes, I call cookies biscuits now because I'm so surrounded by people from the UK) because I thought maybe I was low on calories in the 7 hour break between lunch and dinner (watch out, soon I'll be saying dinner and supper). I didn't feel any better, and continued to decline. My painting got slower and slower and I started to feel light headed. I tried sitting outside in the fresh air for a bit, but nothing worked and my head started to spin. When I went outside to wash a brush off in the sink, Jade asked me if I was feeling any better and as I started to say "no" I got a lump in my throat. I told her that nothing was making me upset, but that I had just gotten a surge of emotion. Then, for no reason--and taking me completely by surprise--I just leaned down and cried. She spoke soothingly to me as I stood there emptying my emotional stores. After a 3 minute cry, I immediately began to feel better. My head cleared and I was able to work again. As it turns out, this is not an uncommon phenomenon here, and multiple other volunteers have experienced similar unprompted emotions.**

Today is a quiet day because most of the volunteers are in Colombo extending their 30 day visas and buying supplies (supplies!) We decide to power through painting the office while they're gone and surprise them when they come home. I also do a stint in the fruit shop selling fruit to tourists so they can feed the elephant who gave them a ride. As I am watching a guy get splashed by his elephant in the river, making bets with myself if he will buy a plate when he's done, I sketch out an idea for a t-shirt design. We are trying to come up with more fund raising ideas and designing and selling t-shirts is the newest one. I will attempt to upload a sketch of my idea for you all to critique. I showed my rough sketch to the tourist and not only did he like it, but he bought a plate of fruit (totally knew he would.)

At the tail end of dinner all the Colombo volunteers return, exhausted from a long day. (Leaving at 6AM) Ilsa is distressed that the pocket of her new pants has torn, so I offer to sew them for her after dinner. Armed with my sewing kit and a headlamp, I bring her pants back to life. Everyone is joking about how I am so prepared for everything. After the pants are sewed up and I offer to patch up a cut on Bert's leg (open wounds get infected quickly here because the bugs aggravate them) they start calling me Dr. Liz.


Day 4 (Thursday)
**My new favorite thing: pasta.
Today for lunch we were given pasta and it was glorious! There is a restaurant just across the street from Millennium that is associated with us and serves us all our meals. In fact, I think we're the only people they serve. I guess restaurant is a bad name for it then, but it's the best I've got. Meals are served buffet style, lunch and dinner are almost always white rice with 2 types of curry/Dahl on the side. I didn't realize how much rice I was eating until they changed it up. Of course, now this has set off a whole slew of cravings from home (what I wouldn't give for some pancakes with maple syrup), so perhaps I should have stuck with the white rice twice a day for 10 weeks.**

Today our project work continues, and I am able to work a little bit on the garden, which I love so much. I'm going to be an expert gardener when I get home. The yard will be unrecognizable, and I might even learn to love bees and other terrifying pollinating bugs (I'm clearly not there yet). I also work the fruit shop today and decide to make a phrase book to keep there "Would you like to make a donation to the Foundation of 200 rupees and get a plate of fruit to feed the elephant?" in a bunch of languages. I'm already not a salesman--my complete absence of sales skill is actually a running joke with one of my coworkers--so put me in the fruit shop with tourists who don't even speak my language and just see how much fruit I'll sell. I'm actually surprisingly successful when they can understand me, but miming the process of feeding fruit to an elephant, while fun and rather amusing, is not a patented sales technique. Perhaps asking where they're from and butchering their home language is the key.

Today is a very sad day, tonight we say goodbye to Kevin and Judy. All day we are so sad and keep giving them hugs and well wishes. Everyone is sad to see them go, but the day is given a brighter note by the fact that midnight marks Shay's 22nd birthday. (Shay makes everything brighter). After dinner, throughout the partying for Kevin and Judy, the night is punctured by Shay's voice, "guys, guys...2 hours and 15 minutes until my birthday!"
Shay's birthday struck, as expected, at midnight, and although we were all waking up at 5am the next morning, we couldn't let her birthday start in bed, so we stayed up for it to celebrate. Her birthday will continue upon waking--in 4.5 hours--with piling into a van and driving to the beach. The weekend starts early this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment